Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Hired and fired within 10 minutes!

Driving home from my clinical assignment with the BYU Rugby team this afternoon, I noticed I had a voicemail. The message was from the receptionist at the company I interviewed with yesterday for a part time job at a call center. I've been trying to find a job before the couch cushions completely mold to my body. The nice lady informed me that I had been hired, and asked me a few questions, and we reviewed my availability. The call ended, and I promptly texted Rachel to inform her that I had gotten the job!

Rewind to Monday, the day of the interview... While signing some paperwork before the interview, a man came out of his office, and said to the receptionist something to the effect of, "I hate it when people arrange interviews, and then don't show up to do them!" At first I thought he was talking about potential employees, but it turns out he was talking about the man that I was supposed to interview with. So, I went back with the replacement interviewer. The interview went well - the only rough spot was the schedule. As we talked, I noticed that the interviewer notated that I wanted the 4-8 shift, but seemed to gloss over the fact that I needed a different shift for Tues/Thursday, which we had discussed at length.

Fast forward back to this afternoon... 10 minutes after texting Rachel about the job, I get another phone call from the same number. "Hi, this is Troy from _______. I wanted to ask you a couple questions about your availability for work." This was the guy that was supposed to interview me. Turns out that the replacement interviewer had failed to notate that I needed a different shift for Tuesday and Thursday, and the company only wanted to hire individuals that could work one shift Monday through Friday, and that the job offer was being rescinded. No apology, and very curt.

I was kind of shocked. I pointed out that we had discussed that issue in the interview, and that it must not have been recorded. He didn't seem to care. Part of me wanted to say, "If you had been there to interview me like you had agreed, we wouldn't have this ridiculous problem!"

So, today I got hired... and fired.

1 comment:

Thanks for stopping by for a little R & R