Saturday, March 3, 2012

Date Night, Downtown San Antonio

On Tuesday we spent two hours... let me say that again... TWO HOURS at the DMV to get our Texas driver's licenses.  It was awful.  I know no one likes going to places like the DMV, but for me it is particularly loathsome.  Especially when they give me a waiting number, and I watch as all the people before me get to go take care of whatever unfortunate occurrence brought them there.  Then I watch as 10+ people who got there AFTER me get called up. 

My blood pressure rises.  Anxiety sets in.  What if there was some sort of technical problem, and the computers aren't registering that my number is out there? Should I go ask? Or would that make me one of those people? Can what I wanted to get done today get done tomorrow since clearly I'm not going anywhere else? I've been here so long... can I remember a time before this?Anyway, I'm pleased to say that despite the dreadful start to the day, we had what turned out to be one of the funnest nights we've had since moving to San Antonio.

Rory's work assignment got canceled last minute, so he asked me what I wanted to do.  I told him I wanted to check out HemisFair Park and La Villita since I had been told there's photographic potential at those locations.  Rory discovered that parking is FREE downtown on Tuesdays (cha-ching!) so we headed downtown for sort of an impromptu date night. 

The weather was GORGEOUS! It was that perfect spring weather where you can walk around and be neither hot nor cold.  (The same weather exists for only about 2.3 days in Utah.)  Complete with the scent of blossoms in the air!

This is a section of the Riverwalk we'd never seen before.  It's very pretty!

HemisFair Park.  Definite picture potential here!
Tower of The Americas.  We haven't been up there yet.  One day, when we're feeling rich and luxurious, we'll eat dinner at the top!

Rory on his phone getting ideas for where to eat. 

The last time we went to this popular section of the Riverwalk was shortly after we moved here.  It was about 100 degrees, humid, crowded, and smelled of b.o.  I couldn't understand the appeal of the place.  But this time I found it very charming!

For dinner we settled on a little hole in the wall pizza place.  We were happily surprised by the quality! Especially when they gave us a pizza larger than the size we ordered! (I know that the popular thing to do nowadays is to post on your blog a picture of all the food you eat... but it was a pepperoni pizza... I'm sure you can use your imagination to figure out what it looked like.) The night solidified the fact that I really do love San Antonio!   

1 comment:

  1. I agree San Antonio is a great town...I have lots of great memories from my years there. But I think you two would be able to make living in the Gobi desert fun, colorful and entertaining.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by for a little R & R